Full-Time Assistant Director of Sales & Marketing
Assistant Director of Sales & Marketing
Report to : General Manager
Provide leadership in all selling activities within the hotel, working closely with the Rooms, Food and Beverage and other revenue-generating departments to maximise sales through the activities of the Sales Department and other employees. Furthermore, to assist in position the hotel in the local marketplace through appropriate sales and marketing initiatives and to ensure the hotel product and services align with the positioning and brand promise created through marketing communications.
- Develop, implement, maximise, monitor and evaluate the hotel’s Marketing Strategy (goals, tactics and actions) to achieve and exceed forecasted revenue figures in Rooms, Food and Beverage, and all other revenue generating departments.
- Ensure Sales activities are aligned with the Corporate Marketing Strategy and Hotel Actions have been implemented.
- Oversee the preparation and update of the Departmental Operations Manuals for Sales.
- Conduct regular departmental communications meetings and ensure departmental briefings and meetings are conducted effectively.
- Review sales files and systems to ensure correct booking procedures, including group room and meeting programme history, contractual agreements, room block analysis, credit and payment documents, etc.
- Ensure that all Corporate, Regional, hotel and governmental reports are compiled accurately and submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitor that all hotel associates deliver the brand promise and provide exceptional guest service at all times, providing positive and constructive feedback as necessary to the respective Head of Department.
- Ensure sales & marketing associates provide excellent service to internal customers in other departments as appropriate.
- Ensure sales & marketing associates provide excellent service to external customers to meet the average minimum scores for MICE Audits.
- Handle all guest and internal customer complaints and inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, following through to ensure problems are resolved satisfactorily.
- Maintain positive guest and colleague interactions with good working relationships.
- Maximise associate productivity through the use of multi-skilling, multi-tasking and flexible scheduling to meet the financial goals of the business and expectations of the guests.
- Preparation of the Annual Business Plan.
- Strategically analyses business performance to facilitate accurate and meaningful forecasting, involving the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
- Proactively manages all the resources and funds, controls departmental costs for Sales and working through the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
- Ensures that all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to financial record keeping, money handling and licensing are adhered to, including the timely and accurate reporting of financial information.
- Manage all hotel brand contacts including all sales and marketing communications, to enforce and maintain the hotel’s brand positioning and concept outlined in the hotel’s Annual Business Plan.
- Prepare, utilise and update an Annual Sales & Marketing Plan, delegated as necessary by division and/or department.
- Manage all sales strategy, tactic, and action implementations, complying with the Driving Customer Preference approach, in order to create a strong and disciplined sales team that achieve sales goals.
- Implement the strategic marketing process, maximising the available marketing data including hotel Cognos, Marketing Portal, Competitive Intelligence, and Delphi/Envision catering system in order to make sound decisions.
- Manage all key sales accounts and groups, evaluates them based on sales account analysis prepared by Revenue Manager / Revenue Analyst, and develops strategies for pricing, inventory, and sales resource allocation.
- Actively participate in the weekly yield meetings and monthly strategic meetings to develop and adjust marketing strategies and short term pricing and channel tactics.
- Be aware of community, business, political and social factors that may affect the hotel’s financial performance.
- Manage integrated marketing communications, including hotel advertising, promotions, collateral, and digital marketing, making sure that they are targeted, effective in producing a reasonable ROI, within budget, and comply with the hotel brand standards, policies and procedures.
- Oversee marketing communications, digital marketing, and public relations activities to support the objectives outlined in the Annual Marketing Plan.
- Constantly monitor and evaluate local, national and international market trends, and the competitor hotels’ and restaurants’ initiatives, in order to make sure the hotel’s marketing and operations remain competitive and cutting edge.
- Actively reviews the reports and analysis compiled by the Revenue Manager/Director of Revenue Management and discuss strategies, opportunities and threats within the division, and with the relevant Heads of Department.
- Ensure the best use of technology and business intelligence tools, and that data is clean.
- Participate to develop and recommend pricing strategy for the organization which will result in the greatest share of the market over the long run.
- Achieve satisfactory profit/loss ratio and share of market performance in relation to pre-set standards and to general and specific trends within the industry and the economy.
- Recommend changes in basic structure and organization of sales & marketing group to ensure the effective fulfillment of objectives assigned to it and provides the flexibility to move swiftly in relation to sales & marketing problems and opportunities.
- Coordinate all sales activities and communicates these activities throughout the hotel. Assists in sales & marketing communications when appropriate.
- Works with operational departments based on the results of the Guest Satisfaction Survey when necessary.
- Works closely with other Department Heads in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of sales activities and adjusts as necessary to achieve or exceed the objectives as outlined in the Annual Sales & Marketing Plan.
- Ensure all sales proposals, collateral, digital tools, and other sales communications are in-line with the hotel’s and brand standards, and up- to-date in terms of information.
- Attend major travel, trade and corporate functions to network and promote the hotel.
- Plans and executes sales trips based on business priorities.
- Communicate closely with the GSOs / RSOs and key sister hotels, and updates them regularly regarding key hotel sales information.
- Entertain existing and potential customers and ensures the Sales Team entertains customers based on business priorities.
- Ensure a high level of exposure for the hotel through direct sales solicitation, telephone contact and written communication.
- Ensure Sales employees work in a supportive and flexible manner with other departments, in a spirit of “We work through Teams”.
- Ensures all contracts signed by or on behalf of the Sales & Marketing Department follow the established hotel policies and procedures.
- Ensures room and event space inventories are reviewed weekly and strategies are formulated to fill low occupancy periods.
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of all sales associates and assists in selection of other sales & marketing associate when required. To make sure that Managers follow hotel guidelines when recruiting and use a competency-based approach to selecting their associate.
- Oversee the punctuality and appearance of all sales & marketing associates, making sure that they wear the correct uniform and maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene, according to the hotel and department’s grooming standards.
- Maximise the effectiveness of sales associates by developing each individuals’ skills and abilities through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.
- Oversee the implementation and ongoing monitoring of Personal Business Plans for all sales associates.
- Conduct half yearly and annual Performance Development Discussions with Sales Associates and to support them in their professional development goals.
- Ensure each Manager plans and implements effective training programmes, including Driving Customer Preference Courses, for their associates in coordination with the Training Manager and their Departmental Trainers.
- Encourage associates to be creative and innovative, challenging and recognising them for their contribution to the success of the operation.
- Support the implementation of The People Brand demonstrating and reinforcing the hotel brand values.
- Ensure all associates have a complete understanding of and adhere to associate rules and regulations.
- Ensure associates follow all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to fire and hazard safety, and security.
- Provides feedback on the results of the Associate Engagement Survey and ensures that the relevant changes are implemented.
- Attend and contributes to all Meetings and trainings as required.
- Knowledgeable in statutory legislation in associate and industrial relations.
- Understand and strictly adheres to Rules and Regulations established in the Employee Handbook and the Hotel’s policies concerning fire, hygiene and health and safety.
- Ensure high standards of personal presentation and grooming.
- Maintain strong, professional relationship with relevant representatives from competitor hotels, business partners and other organisations.
- Respond to changes in the sales & marketing function as dictated by the industry, company and hotel.
- Understand and strictly adheres to Rules and Regulations established in the Associate Handbook and the Hotel’s policies concerning fire, hygiene and health and safety.
- Attend training sessions and meetings as and when required.
- Carries out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.